Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Build It Now

I am in favor of the planned stadium development permit.  
*-*-*
In my mirthquakes blog it’s been all to easy to make light of the plight of the Quakes fans over the past four years– but I felt the need to stay cheerful, even when the seat numbers on the aluminum bleachers are eighteen inches apart and the width of my hips (on a good day) is nineteen inches.  

The upside of that scenario is that I’ve made close friends with the people around me in Section 103.  When I look around the bleachers there’s a diversity of gender, ethnicity, and professions.  It’s a big, often rambunctious family comprising parents, siblings and eccentric great-aunts, with diverse personalities: vocal and energetic; cynical and phlegmatic, analytical and judgmental.  Our common ground is down below on the pitch and the San Jose Earthquakes players on its cool, grass surface - we are all united in our support of them.  




The players on our team are equally diverse - scan the roster and you will see local heroes, Europeans, Central and South Americans, even a Texan with a Thai surname.  Their personalities range from quiet leaders, to crazy goalkeepers and vocal players who black out when they argue their team mate’s case with the officials.  There are young rookies with meagre salaries working hard to get their chance and veterans working just as hard to keep their slot.  All are engaged in the action on the field, and off the field they engage frequently within the community and the fans in front of whom they play each week.  



As we cross the rail road tracks to our new stadium, we’ll need to get along with our new neighbors.  The reason for Wednesday’s planning meeting is to revisit the concerns they have raised, and I hope the changes to the stadium design and the proposal as a whole, will address those concerns to their satisfaction.  For my own part, as a fan, I cannot promise that I won’t noisily vocalize my support inside the stadium while the game is in progress – in fact I hope there will be many opportunities for us all to celebrate.  Outside of the stadium, as a fellow citizen, I will promise to be cognizant of my surrounding neighbors, my potential impact on their lives and respect their interests and concerns.  

There are many players who make the San Jose Earthquakes work as an organization – not just the guys who kick and dribble the ball.  It’s a conglomeration of fans, players, coaches, trainers, front office, stadium staff, grounds keepers, vendors, and media.  All are valued members of this diverse Earthquakes family - a family that truly reflects the community it serves.  



After four years of patience doesn’t this family deserve their own home?



No comments:

Post a Comment